by Jennifer Betka, SVP Marketing, and Nick Williams, Marketing Research Director, Wikia
· Wikia is where fans and brands join forces. Wikia knows pop culture and entertainment covering movies, books, comics, and games. Their platform offers collaboration and influence, and is where super fans go to create content.
· The Wikia Activity Monitor tracks how strong the communities are. Social and mobile make up 36% of the game communities, and these fandoms are growing rapidly.
· Runescape is a casual game going strong after 12 years. A game’s lasting power is in direct relation to the strength of the community behind it.
· What fuels fandom? Easy yet challenging gameplay, just enough social features, accessible, available, complex and dynamic mechanics that are constantly changing, a healthy addiction, and a good theme. The most popular themes are fantasy and pets.
· There’s a huge demand for fans and developers to connect. Developers on Wikia can be authenticated and can collaborate with fans through The Lab program.
· Developers should not try to build their community on Wikia from the ground up. The best communities are built organically.